I’m not a big believer in New Year’s resolutions. While I love the passion and desire for change which typically inspires these resolutions, they are so often forgotten or packed away with the Christmas decorations in time for next year. So why do people make them year after year?
I guess it’s because there’s a grand misconception that you can really only make a fresh start and implement changes in your life once per year.
But let’s face it…how much pressure do we place on ourselves to ‘get it right’ in these critical first few weeks of the year?
Most often you are really committed in the moment when you make the resolution or promise to yourself. But much less committed and motivated when you actually have to implement it.
For some people, making a promise to make change is enough. That ticks the box of having given at least some thought to the year ahead. But for many of us, we feel even more disappointed in ourselves for not following through and actually implementing that promise. And that’s because it can be difficult, it can be scary, it can mean moving out of the chair, the comfort zone, or the office.
So instead of making New Year’s resolutions, how about committing to implementing changes all throughout the year!
Make a plan now to create the life you want – spread your goals throughout the whole year. Decide now that you are ready to take action.
3 essential steps to kick start 2012!
To help you figure out your highest priorities for attention, here are 3 questions to ask yourself and focus on what you really want in the year ahead.
Grab a pen and paper…
1. What worked for you last year?
- Consider what went really well over the last year. Even if you didn’t achieve everything you wish you had, there were probably some highlights, so go ahead and list those
- Also think about why it went well for you?
2. What didn’t work for you last year?
- Here it’s important to think about what could have gone better
- Without spending a lot of time on this, find your top 3 areas where there’s room for improvement
3. And most importantly what are you going to do differently this year to improve your life (or your business)?
- I always like to think about this in terms of a simple Stop, Start & Continue idea/model
- What you are going to stop doing completely?
- What are you going to start doing?
- What are you going to continue doing (or get better at doing in 2012)?
Once you’ve answered these questions, then it’s time to start creating the goals which will bring it all to life.
If you need some help with this, then keep reading and find out about our special free coaching offer below.
Here’s to making 2012 your best year ever!
Need some help to work out your plan for 2012?
Do you have something specific, something important for you to change this year? Or maybe you’re experiencing a more general feeling of being at a cross-roads? If you want to speed up your success rate, then I’d like to help you do it with a special 1-on-1 personal “Discovery” strategy session where we’ll work together to…
- Create a crystal clear vision for ‘ultimate success’ so you know exactly what you want, where you’re headed, and what you need to do to make it happen
- Uncover hidden challenges that may be sabotaging your ability to make changes that last or that are slowing down your progress
- Leave this session renewed, re-energized, and inspired to finally achieve the change you seek – once and for all
If you’d like to take advantage of this very special, very limited, and totally FREE 30 minute Discovery strategy session, then contact me now at email@example.com and we will book in a time for you.
Since we don’t know how intense the response will be, we can’t guarantee a coaching session for everyone. We’ll take as many people as we can and then start a waiting list. You can expect to get contacted by our team to schedule your session within the next 3 business days.
I look forward to working with you soon!